Thursday, April 7, 2011

Trailer Reviews, Week 11



Arthur

This is a remake of the classic (at least in some circles) 80s comedy starring Dudley Moore. I haven’t seen the first one, so I can’t comment on the folly of a remake, outside of the fact I have a hard time believing there was all that much cry for it.

If I have to see that preview one more time, I’m punching the next British person I see square in the eye. This is probably because the theater I frequent has been showing it before every movie for a month straight, but it’s far from a good sign that these jokes are already annoying me.

Verdict

I think all the Batman stuff could provoke some laughs, especially Luis Guzman in a Robin getup. Talented fresh face Greta Gerwig could easily carry this one. Still, I have a hard time shaking the suspicion that this will be where I tire of the Russell Brand act.


Your Highness

A project conceived sometime in the 80s between bong rips on Danny McBride’s mother’s couch, it’s finally becoming reality. I also have to love the career 180 that director David Gordon Green’s pulling, from indy auteur to stoner comedy director.

Same guy!

This is a basement-dwelling fanboy dream, with everything from probable D & D references to a Yoda-style creature and Natalie Portman sporting skimpy clothes and medieval weapons. Hopefully they remember to be funny, because that’s the one thing that seems to be missing from the trailer.

Verdict

I can’t help but think this would be hilarious after a doober or two, but since our substance of choice is beer I’ll tack on a few more of those.


Soul Surfer

It has all the trappings of a family-friendly inspirational drama, and AnnaSophia Robb is going to do great things someday, but the operative fact here is the director, Sean McNamara.

The guy that brought us this gem

I can’t find much evidence of the atrocities McNamara is capable of in the trailer (if you need more evidence, he also directed 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain), but I’m sure they’re there. As far as the trailer alone goes, it’s solid, although Dennis Quaid’s recent ability to sniff out shit scripts and Carrie Underwood’s dead eyes are other reasons for worry.

Verdict

This could easily have a high corn factor and when you couple that with the director’s resume it’s hard to expect too much.


Hanna


Here we go now; the guy who brought us Atonement is making a hard-edged fairy tale about a teenage assassin on the run, scored by the Chemical Brothers.

The trailer looks sweet, although that humvee-riding shot is a bit on the ridiculous side. And damn, that song at the end of it is hot.

Verdict

Every time I watch the trailer my expectations grow that much more. This movie has the potential to be special.




No comments:

Post a Comment