Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010)

We moved! You can now find us at our own location, MovieBoozer.com | Movies Measured by the Pint! Movies Rated by Beers! We also have a new forum!

By: Oberst von Berauscht (3 Beers)

A Toast

There are many who will accuse Legend of the Guardians of being Lord of the Rings with Owls. You’d be pretty accurate in saying that actually. But then, you may as well call every adventure film that follows the “Hero’s Journey” a repeat. The fact is, this film makes no pretenses at being anything more than high adventure.


Get it? High? As in flying? I’ll shut up now…

Director Zack Snyder is not known for subtlety. But if what you came for is to watch the good guys fight the bad guys in an epic struggle of good vs. evil, you’ll be satisfied. Don’t think for a minute that because this movie is rated PG that it is a children’s movie, though. This movie had killing, and a lot of it. In fact, it is probably the first major release CGI film to border on PG13 violence. Snyder uses his visual tricks to hide the gore for the most part, thus placating the MPAA, but leaving the adult in you (or sophomoric teenager in you?) wondering if Snyder has an “unrated director’s cut” version ready for release… it would be something to behold.

I know, welcome to the internet 7 years ago, bla bla bla… but seriously, OWLSWTFBBQ!!@lu1z

The visual effects are absolutely stunning, and for the most part the filmmaker’s stylized editing and cinematography compliment the mood and feel of the story. And this story is populated with your typical “unlikely hero” characters, which are mostly well-written and serve to keep you interested even during some heavy expository moments. Some have complained at one specific character’s propensity for owl jokes, but I gotta be honest… I love bad jokes.

WE’VE NOTICED: Sincerely, Your Editor

Second Beer

I was not at all surprised to hear that this film is based on three books in a series. This is because sometimes the story elements feel rushed, with too many scenes of explanation to catch you up on events that could have been shown to you. I still don’t know what was up with the metal flecks the owl slaves were collecting. I’m guessing that it had something to do with…

Go back to your tower of suck, Juggalo freak

I understand that CGI films are expensive to make, but I really enjoyed the world the film immerses you in. I’d have appreciated if they took more time constructing the story. This film could easily have another half hour to an hour of character development. I suppose it is a positive thing to say I wanted to see more.

Third Beer

I actually don’t have a whole lot else to complain about in this movie, but for one montage sequence that used an out of place pop-rock song. This comes off as just a crass move by the studio to sell soundtrack albums. I cannot say enough that To the Sky almost ruined the movie. The rest of the score for the film is orchestrated, and while not any sort of masterpiece, it is rousing and keeps the film moving along. But this song… this song becomes death... the destroyer of worlds.


The band is, of course, Owl City…

Verdict

Not very brainy, but fun all the same.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree on your "to the sky" point. I'm actually a reasonably big fan that fell asleep during my third viewing....that song was so out of place that it snapped me out of my stupor!

    ReplyDelete