Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)

We moved! You can now find us at our own location, MovieBoozer.com | Movies Measured by the Pint! Movies Rated by Beers! We also have a new forum!

By: Oberst von Berauscht (3 Beers)

When I heard Edgar Wright was making a film as director/screenwriter for hire outside of his previous collaborations, I was initially optimistic. However, upon viewing the trailer fears for the potential abomination began to take an ugly hold…


Ok, not that ugly, but my point is I thought I’d need a few beers to hash things out.

A Toast

To my surprise, the first one goes down smooth. The dialog is sharp and delivered well by all the actors involved, who give the film characters you actually care about. Director Wright manages to take full advantage of his talent for quick-editing, giving the film a sharp quirky feel that quickly endears itself to the audience. The camerawork is classic Edgar Wright styling, even if he occasionally seems to be trying too hard.

Beer Two

While my initial worries were mostly unfounded, the film had a few moments very worthy of another beer. So I shall partake in my next lager, if only to make those accursed pink elephants go away.

Help me god...

I should first say I am not well versed in the comic this film is based on, so this is strictly an outsider’s opinion. But speaking as a fellow video game fanatic, I was a bit surprised that the boss battles (sorry, ex… battles) ended with the vanquished foe turning into coins. Did I miss the memo about the theatre turning into Chuck-E-Cheeses? And you never see Scott spend his newfound wealth. In fact, he continues to talk about having no money. And really, how could they have passed up the extraordinary opportunity to have the Exes leave behind a valuable item our hero could then use to help him on his journey? I don’t know… like a

B.F.G?

Or a:

Hookshot?

Or even a:




Yeah, he becomes a statue, that’s just badass

So long as this “Life’s a Video Game” thing is part of the film, may as well have him level up as well, and that doesn’t happen nearly as often as it should. Instead he starts a wussy but loveable indie kid, and ends a wussy but loveable indie kid. Some character arc.

Beer Three

Which brings me to another beer worthy moment.

Spoiler Alert!!

Scott Pilgrim is presented with a choice at the end of the film. He could either choose a young, friendly hot Asian chick that respects him, shares his interests, is absolutely in love with him, and did I mention she has a cool ass name (Knives)? Or he can choose a bitter, cold, apathetic, drama factory of a woman (not to mention the fact that she shuns his love for all but the most fleeting of moments). And without batting an eye, he makes the decision that will surely ruin his life 20 minutes after the credits roll.

Knives, on the unlikely chance you are based on a real woman, I love video games, indie rock, shiny objects, hate it when girls dye their hair unnatural colors, and I always try very hard not to murder ex boyfriends.

(And he’s single… ladies)

Anyway, the movie has flaws, sure, but as anybody who has watched the show Spaced can attest, Edgar Wright goes great with a little X.

Verdict

Give it a watch. The X is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment