Thursday, March 17, 2011

Trailer Reviews, Week 8

We moved! You can now find us at our own location, MovieBoozer.com | Movies Measured by the Pint! Movies Rated by Beers! We also have a new forum!

Limitless

So, Mr. Bikes through Nova Scotia in Short-Shorts Bradley Cooper in a fairly conventional sounding thriller with Robert DeNiro (doesn’t his presence these days pretty much doom the film?)

Well, maybe this one won’t be a “comedy”

Well, actually, the trailer pretty much sells it for me. Maybe it’s all of the crazy places the story about a pill that unlocks the full potential of the human brain can go, Abbie Cornish’s curious involvement, or all that Kanye goodness, but I’m kinda looking forward to this one.

Verdict

Sure, this one won’t be the smartest movie you see this year, but it has all the elements you’d need for a pretty enjoyable time at the movies

The Lincoln Lawyer

This one puts Matthew McConaughey back in the type of role that turned him into a star in the mid-90s. He’s again playing a smooth lawyer in a popular novel written by a best-selling (so, pretty conventional) novelist. Not something you exactly win acclaim for, but then again nothing resurrects careers like a box-office hit.

Laying off the sauce probably helps, too

The trailer doesn’t really tell us anything except that there’s a pretty sick cast involved. What were the last movies by Ryan Philippe, Josh Lucas, and William H. Macy anyways? They could outperform the source material and make this just a bit more than guilty entertainment.

Verdict

They probably won’t all that much, though. Still should be pretty watchable, though.


Win Win

Director Tom McCarthy is two for two with The Station Agent and Oscar-nominated The Visitor and he’s arguable got his best cast yet together headlined by Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan. Here’s betting Giamatti plays a gruff but ultimately lovable loser again…

‘Cause he’s been known to do that

This is probably our best put together trailer this week, disregarding a couple of flat jokes that I’m guessing won’t make it into the final cut. It’s got all that underdog, hard-knock life sports goodness that I’m a sucker for every time.

Verdict

I’m sure I’ll find something to nitpick after this, but I doubt it’ll be too much with all of the talent and pedigree this movie boasts.

Paul

So, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz fame unite with Greg Mottola, the director of Superbad and Adventureland? I think I can get on board with this…

Okay, so post-trailer this is pretty much the opposite of Limitless. While my expectations for that one jumped a bit, I can’t help but dampen them for Paul. If I wanted to watch a CGI abomination make scatological jokes I would watch Yogi Bear again.

Ok, you called my bluff. I’d rather roundhouse kick my Grandmother.

Verdict

I know these guys have talent, so maybe the trailer is getting the unfunny jokes out of the way first and holding out with the good stuff. It has happened before…

No comments:

Post a Comment